The Vienna Energy Forum 2017 will be going through certification procedure according to the criteria of the Austrian Eco-label for Green Meetings. Therefore, we encourage participants to make their stay in Vienna as green as possible, for instance with regards to choice of accommodation, transport and waste management.
An average congress delegate produces 3.5 kg non-recyclable waste, 5.5 kg paper waste, uses 151 lt water, and causes 204 kg of CO2 every day[i]. A forum like the VEF, which is aiming at pointing out ways to a sustainable future to a global audience, is the ideal starting point for showing how sustainability works in the present – by going green.
As a visible expression of our commitment to minimize the environmental impact of the VEF 2015, we aim to obtain the Austrian Eco-label for Green Events and Green Meetings. In order to do so, we need to fulfill criteria laid down in the directive UZ 62 by the Austrian Federal Environment Ministry.
These criteria follow international standards and ensure sustainability in the following areas:
- Mobility and climate protection
- Event venue
- Procurement, material and waste management
- Exhibitors/Trade-fair stand builders
- Event catering
- Social aspects
- Event technology
In all greening measures we follow two guiding principles:
- Effective communication of green choices to all partners and participants. Please consider our suggestions of climate-friendly ways of arrival and mobility on-the-spot and of eco-certified accommodation.
- Resource avoidance or saving: At all stages of the preparations as well as at the VEF 2017 itself, we reduce the use of paper, printed materials, giveaways, decoration etc. To the extent possible, we use material certified in line with international ecological standards, and from local production.
Green Tip: If you cannot or do not want to do without your car, or if you travel by plane, you can offset your CO2 emissions by means of compensation payments. Make your voluntary contribution here!
Please keep checking this page for updated information on how to make your stay in Vienna green!
Did you know that Vienna gets it's tap water directly from springs in the Northern Calcareous Alps? Give Viennese tap water a try! You can get a refill while you walk the city from the water fountains shown in the map below.
Note: In order to make it easy for you to avoid waste and dispose of unavoidable waste in an environmentally friendly manner, we provide bins for waste separation outside meeting rooms and in F&B areas.
Please click here to take a survey regarding the greening measures at VEF 2017!