Former Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and CEO, Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL)
In his former position Yumkella mobilized action toward a sustainable energy future and accelerated the implementation of the Secretary-General’s initiative as well as engaged with the leadership of relevant stakeholders in government, businesses, academia and civil society at the highest level to advocate for and promote sustainable energy for all.
From 2005 to 2013 he was the Director General of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). Prior to assuming the mantle of leadership at UNIDO, he worked in different high-level policy positions, including as Special Adviser to two previous Directors General and as Representative and Director of the UNIDO Regional Office in Nigeria. From 1994 to 1995 he was Minister for Trade, Industry and State Enterprises of Sierra Leone.
He holds a Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics from the University of Illinois, a M.Sc. Agricultural Economics, Cornell University; and a B.Sc. in General Agriculture, from Njala University College, Sierra Leone.
- Opening Session
- High-level panel II: Ending Energy Poverty - Concrete Commitments and Action on the Ground
- Energy Leaders’ Voices and Launch of UNIDO-GGGI Global Green Growth Report - Day 1 (18.06.2015)
- HLP VIII: Innovation for Appropriate and Sustainable Solutions
- Business Voices for Sustainability (Second Segment)
- Business Voices for Sustainability (First Segment)
- REthinking Energy: Accelerating the global energy transformation